XR-1 Developer Edition
Varjo XR-1 is a developer device made for simulation, design and research professionals who are pioneering a new reality.
The XR-1 makes it possible to build truly photorealistic mixed reality experiences where virtual objects seamlessly merge with reality for the first time in full field of view. XR-1 users can also switch between mixed reality and full VR, as well as use the integrated eye tracking for unique user research and data analytics.
XR-1 Developer Edition's ultra-low latency image pipeline lets you explore true-to-life digital worlds as natural extensions of the real world. That means you can create, discuss, collaborate and even drive a car in mixed reality in a way that feels completely natural.
Key features of the XR-1 Developer Edition:
- Photorealistic video pass-through enables users to see digital objects in true-to-life color, lightning and shadows in a full field of view (87 degrees).
- The ability to switch between mixed reality and ‘full’ VR so users can interact with the real and the virtual world in one device for applications such as testing designs in different environments or manipulating their surroundings with pixel-perfect clarity.
- Industrial-grade 20/20 Eye Tracker delivers unmatched sub-degree accuracy of users' eye movements in mixed reality scenarios for valuable insights into research, training and simulation and product design.
- Ultra-low latency imaging pipeline lets users experience the most realistic digital worlds as extension of the natural environment without perceivable lag.
- Human-eye resolution Bionic Display™ (over 60 PPD/3,000 PPI) brings high visual fidelity to even the most demanding industrial scenarios where extreme precision and photorealistic accuracy is required.
Included in the box: Varjo XR-1 Developer Edition headset, Link Box, Power supply unit, 3 power cables (EU, UK, US), Large hygienic face mask, Standard textile face mask, Cleaning cloth, Cables: 1 x USB-C, 2 x DisplayPort, 2 x Mini DisplayPort, 1 x USB-A. The box does not include the SteamVR™ base stations or controllers.
XR-1 Developer Edition
Camera & Optics
2 x 12 megapixel at 90 Hz. Fixed focus, 1/3" sensor size with 1.55μ pixel size. 94° circular viewing angle.
4 streams (2 per eye): 1008 x 1008 downscaled from the full 12 Mpx + foveated 834 x 520 full resolution crop.
VR display system
Bionic Display™ with resolution at over 20/20 vision (over 60 PPD / 3,000 PPI), flicker free screen refresh at 60/90 Hz. Combining two 1920 x 1080 low persistence micro-OLEDs and two 1440 x 1600 low persistence AMOLEDs.
Field of view
<20 ms photon-to-photon
Industrial-grade, sub-degree accuracy integrated 100 Hz stereo eye tracking delivering unmatched accuracy and precision across real and virtual environments, even when wearing glasses or contact lenses.
An active IR sensor system consisting of 2 wide-angle cameras and LEDs. The depth system is synchronized with video pass-through to provide low latency and robust depth map.
10 m active optical Thunderbolt cable
Infinite contrast ratio (over 10,000:1) enabling the deepest blacks and individually calibrated colors, delivering outstanding accuracy and image quality.
Compatible with Steam VR™ and ART™
1050 g without counterweight (including head band); 1300 g with counterweight
Comfort & wearability
XR-1 can also be worn by people who wear glasses. It features an active airflow system, adjustable and detachable headband and head strap, comfortable usage with two different sized, easily replaceable face cushions and automatic interpupillary distance (IPD) adjustment for easy and accurate calibration.
Only certain Windows 10 desktop computers and laptops are capable of supporting XR-1 Developer Edition, especially when operating with certain motherboards. Additionally, your computer will have to have a native Thunderbolt. Note that SteamVR® base stations are not included in the box and will need to be purchased separately to establish tracking for Varjo XR-1 Developer Edition.
We are maintaining a list of computers known to work with the XR-1 Developer Edition. It is strongly recommended that you use one of the models from the list.
See list of compatible motherboards and laptops at varjo.com/use-center
Intel Core i7-7820X
NVIDIA GeForce® RTX 2080 Ti
2 x DisplayPort 1.2 or 2 x Mini DisplayPort
1 x USB-A 3.0 port or newer, not using any Hub
1 x Thunderbolt 3 port
Windows 10 (64-bit)
* Please note that AMD GPUs are not currently supported by the Varjo headsets.
** Important: take note of the requirements regarding connectivity ports – use of adapters is not recommended due to known compatibility issues.